- PET CONTEST - Oh now this was FUN! If you have ratties - it is worth joining a show just to be able to enter your sweet lil pips. It was especially fun for our daughters. It looked like the adults were into it just as much as the young ones. We entered CRUS Bennet in Squishiest. Now he is not fat, just so much skin to still grow into. He lost to a real beast but it was fun to watch all the participants squish and stretch their fatties. We also entered OCRA Beast and Joey of OCRA in Kissiest Contest. Again we didn't win but the kisses they did share were pretty sweet. The young girl that won with her rattie must have been soaked from all those kisses. The costume contest was the most fun....maybe because we won (heehee). OCRA Beast was a Lion that 'Didn't want to be a Lion' but he didn't receive the most applause. That was our lil pip OCRA Falcon, who was a ferocious 'Castle Licking Dragon' he actually tied with the Pizza Rat with applause. Our daughter was so excited to get a HUGE ribbon for that win. Our friend entered several of her ratties into the contests. We had made a zebra costume for Ariel but since we didn't bring her we gave it to Celtic Rattery for her little dwarf hairless CRUS Skelator. Oh he was so cute! Her ratties did very well and left with 3 rat crowns! Here is the link to the online newspaper article.
- RAFFLES - Since we only entered Dumbos we were able to relax and enjoy the crowds during the final judging of Hairless, Drex, Rex, Velveteen & Harley. Oh the Harleys!!!! So soft so sweet and furry. One day we will have to get one (or 5 - completely dreaming). We were able to enjoy the potluck - oh how wonderful to not have to worry about anything but bringing our potatoes and enjoying yummy goodies like loaded potatoes, soups, meat, cheese and cookies. The selection was amazing! TOLR was at the next table we decided instead of putting money into their donation jar we popped a few raffles in their name into the 'Free Food & Bedding' for a YEAR! - sponsored by CareFresh Of course this would probably only feed and bed the many critters in the rescue for a couple of months but every bit helps, right? Well guess what?!?! Yup they won!!!! It was so exciting to see them get their coupons. There were other winners as well and each of those people that won were so excited that CareFresh gave such an awesome prize!
- CAGE CONTEST - This was fun and I do hope they will have it at others. Not to mention having the travel cages decorated gives those at the show fun ideas on how to stimulate their ratties at home. We had 3 to enter. The first one was called Jungle Girls. This was using our very first rattie find a fisher price tree. Oh the ratties love that tree! The next was Orange You Glad You Are Here Today? This one came in 3rd place for votes. I loved listening to the comments as people walked by. I can almost guarantee you that right now there are about 50 rats out there with receipt table rolls in their cage for fun stimulation. Our final entry was Welcome to Our Teepee this one had a battery operated water fountain and lots of Thanksgiving themed things in it. It lost by ONE vote for 1st place which was won by a real neat Star Wars themed cage with FANCY creations made by Dexter's Creature Comforts.
- FINAL JUDGING - We thought we were done but guess what? OCRA Beast got to go back and be entered 'Best of Show' for all of the adult ratties. We took him back up to the table with all the others that won their 'Best of Variety'. Soon we heard the announcement that our sweet dilute daddy took 'Reserve of Show'. What an honor for our little Beast who almost didn't get to go due to the cage accident that tipped his tail.
- PACK UP AND HEAD HOME - Show over, time to go home. Many of the exhibitors went out to dinner after. We were sad we didn't know of this tradition but are looking forward to it at the next one! When we got home and unloaded the ratties we collapsed and slept for 10 hours. I bet our mischief did the same thing!
Our Crazy Rat Adventure Blog is small glimpse into our little menagerie. We never intended to, but we ended helping others fall in love with the little vermin.